For almost half of a century, the Pistons have called the Detroit metropolitan area their home. The team moved to the area from Fort Wayne, IN after the 1956-57 season. They played at Cobo Hall and later moved to the Pontiac Silverdome in 1978. Home of the Detroit Lions (NFL), the Silverdome was a massive facility for NBA games to be held. By the mid 1980s, owner of the Pistons, William Davidson, decided to construct a new basketball arena for his team. A site in Auburn Hills was chosen to construct the $70 million arena.
FACTS & FIGURES
-Tenants: Detroit Pistons (NBA)
-Cost: $70 million
-Architect: Rossetti Architects
-Address: 5 Championship Drive, Auburn Hills, MI 48376
-Former Name(s): None
The Detroit Pistons first season at the Palace at Auburn Hills was in 1988-89. With a capacity of over 22,000 the Pistons home is the second largest arena in the NBA. The Palace at Auburn Hills features 1,000 club seats, five underground luxury suites and an additional 180 luxury suites. Fans attending games can visit the Hall of Fame and Museum to check out memorabilia from the Pistons history. The Pistons have had many successful seasons at the Palace at Auburn Hills. They won two NBA Championships during their first two seasons there. The Pistons also won their third NBA Championship at the Palace at Auburn Hills during the 2003-2004 season.